Re: [ApacheGallery] Image URLs

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004, Doug Alcorn wrote:
> OK, my gallery is for the photos I take.  I have two goals for
> posting.  One is to share photos with friends and family.  The other
> goal is to share my work with other photographers to critique (and
> praise!).  The main avenue for that is photography forums.
>
> The problem is when you _also_ want to give a link in a forum to the
> image page (so that they can see the full exif or view the image at
> other resolutions).  AFAIK, there's no way to put the url to the
> image page if the forum assumes .jpg is an image.
>
> What I'd like to suggest is to have the main image url be
> http://...../foo.html instead of http://...../foo.jpg.  Actually, I
> don't think there's any reason both can't work.  The handler
> function would need to assume an order of extentions to try.  Given
> the url requested is foo.html, look for foo.jpg then foo.png, etc.

The problem with using foo.jpg.html is that it (basically) looks ugly.

An alternative method is to consider using something like a
http://aggallery/_thumbnail/ directory or something to just give you
the proper thumbnail for the image. This avoids the uglyness of
foo.jpg.html URLs, and makes what you're doing work.

[If you control the website, it's actually pretty easy to do this in
an automated fashion, as I do for http://www.donarmstrong.com/]

Don Armstrong

--
Our days are precious, but we gladly see them going
If in their place we find a thing more precious growing