Re: [ApacheGallery] Image URLs

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004, Doug Alcorn wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > An alternative method is to consider using something like a
> > http://aggallery/_thumbnail/ directory or something to just give
> > you the proper thumbnail for the image. This avoids the uglyness
> > of foo.jpg.html URLs, and makes what you're doing work.
>
> I'm not sure it does.  How is using _thumbnail different than using
> .cache?

I was answering a different question then the one you were asking,
unfortunatly. I understood that the problem was that the cache urls
were difficult to create properly in an automated fasion from the
actual image location, not that the problem was with the actual
extension of the url. [Since, at least in my world, the extension of a
URL means nothing, aside from asthetic concerns. Only the

> That AlluviumB.jpg page is the page I'm proposing the URL for.  I'm
> not talking about any of the thumbnails.  It's the image display
> _page_ I'm talking about.

After rereading your original question, what it sounds like you're
looking for can be trivially handled using a Rewrite rule like the
following:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.+)\.html$ $1 [L,R]

That way, you'll give the (broken) forum software the .html URL it
craves, without adding a patch that breaks the (IMO) major feature of
A::G, that it basically does a sane directory listing and display of
images without adding (or virtually adding) the typical gallery
software detrius of .html files and other junk.

Don Armstrong

--
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot