Re: meta info for images... db?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:13:35PM -0400, Charles Chao wrote:
> Something like this would be awesome to have a db in Apache:gallery.
>
> Take a look at this http://photography-on-the.net/ee/index.php
>
> I still like Apache:gallery better but we might be able to get some
> ideas from EE.
>
> Take a look.
[cut]

I'm still not convinced that a database is particularly necessary
or desirable.  If you want to have more picture metadata (id, path,
title, etc.), just add it to the data file.

    <data>
        <id>20020731-1234</id>
        <rotate>90</rotate>
        <title>Pictures of You</title>
        <comment>Blah blah blah blah</coment>
    </data>

As Saadiq points out, though, it's not particularly searchable.

For me, one of Apache::Gallery's greatest strengths is its simplicity.
Since it's completely file-system based (like its inspiration
Apache::MP3), the 'admin tools' are just the shell utilities.  A web
front-end to admin functions would be nice, but it opens up a huge can
of worms (in particular it means Apache::Gallery has to have the concept
of users and user permissions).  In my opinion, it seems somewhat out
of scope for Apache::Gallery at this time.

If anyone still wants to do it, I think the first priorty is to refactor
Gallery.pm so that the handler() is broken up into a bunch of called
methods instead of a long, monolithic sub.  (Again, like Apache::MP3).
This would make is easier to sub-class Apache::Gallery and to add
additional functionality like a real database, users, different templating
systems, different file formats, etc.

Eric