Re: [ApacheGallery] Patch to replace inline C code with native Perl

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:24:48PM -0600, Thomas Eibner wrote:
> > Not really. All of the image/thumbnail sizes are calculated from the size
> > of the original image, which is obtained using Image::Size. After all,
> > it has to know the size of the resized image to be able to call the
> > resizeimage() routine.
>
> The real problem is that if you have a lot of pictures in the directory
> and it tries to load 5-10 pictures at a time over different connections
> you'll have 10 times the load over generating them just once when the
> index is requested.

This is a good point. I tried it out just now: on a directory with 117
1600x1200 images, the load spiked up to 4.25. It only took a couple of
minutes to produce the thumbnails for the whole directory, though. And,
the client didn't time out while loading the page (in the current
version, the client times out several times while waiting for the HTML
to unblock on the resize).

Keep in mind, you'll only experience that load while it populates the
cache.

I'll test it a little more and send a patch out.

-Jon