Re: [ApacheGallery] Patch to replace inline C code with native Perl

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:24:26AM -0600, Thomas Eibner wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've had far more problems even getting Image::Magick
> to install on any machine where I wasn't using either deb's or rpm's. Talk
> about a PITA ;)

Heh. Guess I'm spoiled; I've been using Debian for the past four years.
:)

> > I'd also like to modify Apache::Gallery so that it blocks on resizing
> > the individual images in a page, and not on the whole page itself.
> > Blocking on sending the HTML for the page until all of the thumbnails
> > have been generated causes problems with timeouts when you've got a
> > large number of images in a directory. I think this can be solved by
> > moving the image resizing code into portion of the handler that loads
> > images from the cache. Are there any drawbacks to this approach that I'm
> > not thinking about?
>
> Yes, the reason why we initially put it in the index page was that it
> only has to be done once. What you really are requesting from the
> page is the already scaled image and not something that gets scaled on
> the fly. And because of the way we use templates it's not really
> possible to spit out the HTML as soon as the image is generated.

This doesn't make sense. The browser client makes seperate requests for
the HTML and the images. You can generate the HTML without having
generated all of the images. Why not save the image resize step until
the client requests the image?

-Jon