Re: Getting it to work ..

What I was hoping to connect to do was to see what the web server was
saying to requests.

Errors must be going somewhere.  Do you have a vhost alias that matches
higher up in the conf file?  I would check other logs for access/error
messages, then perhaps try:

telnet pixtest.yuckfou.org 80

get / HTTP/1.1
Host: pixtest.yuckfou.org

After the Host line, you'll have to hit enter twice.

See what (if anything) you get.

To find the log that's getting written, you could request a page with your
browser like http://pixtest.yuckfou.org/hortens and then "grep hortens *"
in your log directory.

Could check for warnings with apachectl configtest.

Would need to know more to give you any more advice, but my bet is you'll
find out what you need to know when you find what log requests are going
to.