Re: [ApacheGallery] Building Apache 2, mod_perl 2, etc from RPMs

First get rid of your current copy of apache.

Then install the source rpms like so:

rpm -Uvh <somerpm>.src.rpm

then modify the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/<somerpm>.spec for that rpm with
your preferred path.  (though, I think it's a bad idea to put things in
places other than where the distro wants them, cause then you need to
change the paths for EVERYTHING)

then run:

rpmbuild -bi <spmerpm>.spec

Voila!

As far as which rpms you need, I believe the stock rpms on RH8 will meet
your needs.

My advice would be to not even both with installing source rpms and just
install the stock redhat rpms as they are.  They might not put everything
exactly where you want it.  (/var/www/ for web content, and
/etc/httpd/conf for configuration data) but you'll thank yourself when you
upgrade some package in 2 years.

--

Zak L Brown

Audio/Systems Engineer